It may still be a thousand degrees outside, but it is OFFICIALLY fall, which leaves me craving all the comfort food. I love chili and my dad happens to make the very best. Everyone loves it and everyone agrees with my previous statement! Below is his recipe, and you’re gonna want to make this. For real!
1 lb. ground beef
1 pack French’s Chili-o Mix (DO NOT SUBSTITUTE THE BRAND)
1 can Bush’s Chili beans (mild sauce)
1 can Rotel tomatoes (original)
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
1 slice of sweet onion, chopped
1/2 pint of mushrooms, chopped (these are optional, but my hubby loves mushrooms!)
Toppings (I prefer shredded cheese, sour cream, and Ritz crackers)
- In a large pot, brown the beef until it is thoroughly cooked. Drain and return the beef to the pot.
- Stir in the Chili-o mix and then add in the remaining ingredients.
- Add half a can of water using the bean can.
- Simmer on low heat, stirring frequently, for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let it sit for at least an hour. It is better if it is made the day before you want to enjoy it.
- Reheat before eating.
I know people love all different toppings for their chili. I personally love to crumble up Ritz crackers on top of a dollop of sour cream and some shredded cheese. I have sensitive taste buds when it comes to heat, but this chili has just the right amount of kick and is so flavorful. Let me know if you make it and what you think!
Shop my favorite bowls here.