I love making the holidays festive for the girls and try to make them feel as special and fun as possible by adding decor in their bedroom in addition to the rest of the house. We always hang garland over Willa’s bed and she gets excited to change it up each holiday/season. This time, instead of buying garland, we made it ourselves and she appreciates it so much more because of it. We had so much fun making it. When I asked her if she wanted to help make Peep garland, she said, “YESSS!” and after we were done and hung it up in her room she said, “Hey, Mom. You know what? Those look just like those bunny marshmallow candies at the store!” Me: “Willa, THOSE are Peeps!!” We had a good chuckle. I think it’s so sweet that she was so pumped to help me make ‘Peep’ garland when she didn’t even know at the time what a ‘Peep’ was. That’s just her sweet little personality right now though and because of this, I will forever treasure this DIY garland we made.
It was so simple and didn’t cost too much. I spend $7 on everything but the memories we’ve already made with this craft are priceless. I may be biased, but I think it turned out so darling! It would also look pretty adorable on a mantle!
colored felt fabric (only need about 1/4 yard for the length I made)
batting (or you could use newspaper to stuff which is free!)
twine or yarn
small black pom poms (or you could use a sharpie to draw on the eyes and nose)
cool glue gun (or hot, but be careful!)
- Put this Peep outline into a word document and make it the size you want. Print it and cut it out.
- Trace the Peep onto the felt fabric and cut it out. You will need two pieces of felt per Peep. So, if you want your garland to have 5 Peeps, you will need to trace the outline 10 times.
- Take one Peep cutout and line the edge of the Peep with glue. Leave about 2 inches opened to fill it with batting. Quickly place another peep cutout of the same color on top of the peep with the glue and seal the edges. Be careful not to burn yourself if you are using a hot glue gun!
- Fill the Peep with batting through the 2 inch opening, and then seal the opening with more glue.
- Glue on the pom poms for the eyes and nose (or draw them on with a sharpie). Repeat for whatever number of Peeps you want on your garland.
- Glue the back of the Peep’s ears and attach the Peep to wherever you want it on the garland string. They will not be adjustable, so make sure the spacing is how you like it!
- Hang and enjoy your work!
If any of you give this a try, be sure to tag me @abraggslife so I can see!