Today, it was Willa’s turn to bring snack to Girl Scouts. I wanted to make something cute and festive for summer break. Willa’s school is having a watermelon day next week and when we were talking about it on the way to school this morning Willa said, “I don’t even like watermelon!” (Poor girl has no idea what she’s missing. …and neither does her daddy!) Anyway, it gave me the idea to make these watermelon Rice Krispy treats for Girl Scouts. I had previously made them for Willa’s class last year for the end of year party. They were such a hit and all the kids loved them! Plus, what says summer better than watermelon?!
Y’all! These are so easy to make that I almost felt a little silly writing a tutorial for it. But, this will just show you how simple they were and that anyone can do it! If you have an end of year party for your kids, you are in charge of bringing snacks for your child’s sports game, or you just want a fun snack to make with your family, this is a great one! Willa especially loved putting in the chocolate chips!
After I made mine and cut it, I put each individual slice into a clear treat bag from Target and tied it with some baker’s twine. I seriously use these clear bags all the time and always keep them on hand. You can get 20 of them for only $2. This just makes it so much easier for handing out, plus they look so adorable!
1 box of Rice Krispies
1 10oz bag of marshmallows
3 tablespoons of butter
Food coloring (pink or red and green)
Handful of chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)
1. Use the butter wrapper to grease an 8 inch springform pan. You can also use a regular cake pan or a pie dish if you do not have a springform pan – if you grease it well, it will lift right out after it’s set.
2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat, then add the marshmallows and stir until melted.
3. Pour about 1/3 of the marshmallow mix into a separate bowl. You can just eyeball it! Add green food coloring to these melted marshmallows and stir until combined well. Pour in 2 cups of Rice Krispies and mix until they all turn green.
4. Now, this part can get really sticky, so I greased my hands with some butter. Pick up handfuls of the green Rice Krispies and roll it in your hands, kind of like we used to do as kids with Playdough to make snakes! Then, press it down into outside ring of the pan, about an inch wide, until you connect the ends. Continue to grease your hands with butter if necessary.
5. Add the pink or red food coloring to the remainder of the melted marshmallows. Once that is combined, add in the remaining 4 cups of Rice Krispies and mix well, until they all turn pink or red.
6. Fill the inside of the pan with the red Rice Krispies and press it down into the pan. They may not all fit – I had a little bit left over. Just make sure it is flush with the height of the green. Again, you’ll want to keep your hands greased during this process.
7. Once you have it all packed in, grab your handful of chocolate chips and push them down into the red Rice Krispies.
8. Let it completely cool and then cut into slices. You can either get 8 large slices, or I cut mine into 12 pieces which were plenty big.
If you guys give these a try, be sure to tag me @abraggslife on Instagram and/or Facebook! I would love to see how yours turn out!